Outstanding Research Award 2017
NODA: The Association for Orientation, Transition & Retention in Higher Education
To emphasize and celebrate the importance of research in the field of orientation, transition, and retention, NODA: The Association for Orientation, Transition, and Retention in Higher Education has an established research award. Each year, one graduate/doctoral student will be awarded a $1,000 award and receive a waiver for the annual conference fee (including the annual membership fee) in recognition of an outstanding dissertation or master’s thesis related to orientation, transition, and/or retention in higher education. Award funds may be used to support professional development, researcher’s stipend, and/or project expenses.
The Outstanding Research Award is tenable by Master’s or Doctoral students who are either enrolled in a graduate program and are in the process of completing a thesis or dissertation during the 2016-2017 academic year, or have finished/will finish their degree between November 5, 2016 and November 5, 2017. The scholarly research should highlight topics within the field of orientation, transition, and retention. Nominees do not have to be NODA members.
Award recipients will be invited to submit their thesis or dissertation for an educational session at the NODA Annual Conference; priority consideration will be given. Recipients will also be invited to submit the study in manuscript format for possible publication, in part or in full, in the Journal of College Orientation and Transition. Award recipients will also be given priority consideration for publication, although publication and/or conference proposal acceptance are not guaranteed.
Nomination information will be submitted electronically. The following information is required to complete the Outstanding Research Award nomination:
1. Outstanding Research Award Application Form
2. Extended abstract in APA style, in PDF format. Abstracts should be between 500 and 750 words, not including references, tables, and figures.
3. A copy of your transcript (with verification of current enrollment, if appropriate) at the institution where doctoral or master’s level work is being (or has been) completed. This can be sent directly to the NODA office by mail or attached as a document to the application.
4. Two letters of recommendation from the following:
- Graduate research advisor or person who is supervising the graduate research thesis or dissertation.
- A separate faculty member within the specific graduate program, who may comment on the students contributions to the graduate program.
Failure to follow the guidelines to the application may lead to the disqualification of your submission from the awards nomination. Please review instructions carefully.
All materials must be received no later than Monday, May 8, 2017 at 11:59:59 PM CST.
Award recipients will be notified by email on Friday, May 26th.
Reviewers will evaluate applications on the following criteria:
1. Clear articulation of the proposed study, including purpose and research question(s);
2. Appropriateness and strength of research design and methodology;
3. Relevance to current trends/issues in the OTR field, as defined by the NODA Research Agenda.
If you have any questions about the award or the process, please contact the NODA Association Office at email@example.com or by phone at 1.866.521.NODA.
NODA declares a policy of equal opportunity and nondiscrimination in the provisions of services to the membership and the public. In recognition of the responsibility to this membership, NODA reaffirms its policy of fair and equal treatment in all practices to all persons regardless of race, color, age, marital status, gender, religion, natural origin, ancestry, sexual/affectional orientation, disability or veteran status.