NODA—Association for Orientation, Transition, and Retention in Higher Education
Grants to Catalyze Orientation, Transition, and Retention (OTR) Research
Request for Proposals
We are now accepting proposals for the annual Orientation, Transition, and Retention (OTR) Catalyst Grant. Please review the information below before submitting your application.
The OTR Catalyst Grant is designed to catalyze new research that will advance both knowledge and best practices in orientation, transition, and retention. Prospective qualitative or quantitative research studies, pilot studies, exploratory research projects, and assessment studies that may have implications for wider populations will be considered for this award. In the 2017-18 grant cycle, up to $5,000 will be awarded (awards range from $500 to $1000). All grant recipients will also receive the registration fee for one annual NODA Conference or regional conference and a year’s membership to the association. Grant funds may be used to support professional development, researcher(s) stipend, and project expenses. All funds (100%) must be used to support the proposed project. If your institution offers matching funds to go towards your research project via cost sharing, NODA does not object as long as the expenditures are in use of your presenting your findings (this does include travel related costs).
Prospective grant recipients must electronically submit applications by Sunday, March 26, 2017, at 11:59 pm (CST).
Grant recipients will be notified by April 24, 2017.
Grant recipients will be required to submit their projected research milestones to NODA.
Recipients are also required to either submit a manuscript about the selected research to the Journal of College Orientation and Transition (JCOT), OR submit a conference proposal for the annual NODA conference, a regional NODA conference, or a NODA Webinar within one year of receipt of the grant. Grant recipients will be given priority consideration for an educational session presentation at the annual NODA conference, but publication and/or conference proposal acceptance are not guaranteed. Applicants are welcome to both present and publish their findings with NODA.
Grant applications should include the following:
A cover page identifying the research proposal title, the primary investigator’s name, address,institution, telephone number, and email address; and the names of any research team members. The cover page should also include a description of the credentials of the researcher(s), a proposed budget, and information about any other funding sources for which you have used this project to apply.
A description of the research proposal (maximum of three double-spaced pages, not including works cited), which should include all of the following:
1. Statement of purpose of the proposed study, including research question(s) and/or hypothesis
2. Brief literature review, situating the proposed study within the context of existing work and articulating its unique contribution
3. Description of the population and/or practice or program to be studied
4. Description of the research design and methodology, including any instrument(s) to be used in the study, the procedures, and the proposed analysis
5. Description of how the proposed study responds to current trends/issues in the OTR field as defined by the NODA Research Agenda
6. Description of how results of the proposed study may influence OTR professional practice and/or research.
Reviewers will evaluate applications on the following criteria:
1. Clear articulation of the proposed study, including purpose and research question(s);
2. Degree to which proposal is grounded in relevant scholarly literature;
3. Appropriate research design and methodology;
4. Response to current trends/issues in the OTR field, as defined by the NODA Research Agenda;
5. Potential for meaningful implications for OTR practice and/or research;
6. Degree to which the proposed study is innovative; and
7. Likelihood the proposed study will be completed within one year.
If you have any questions, please contact NODA at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click here for a list of the 2015-2016 Catalyst Grant recipients.
Click here for a list of the 2016-2017 Catalyst Grant recipients.